11.27.2012

Intentional Imperfection....."sanding or sailing?"

When building you own boat, in regards to perfection, it is sometimes necessary to honor ones mortality.  Although it is entirely possible for me to smooth the inside cabin ceiling to approximate the smoothness of neonate bottoms, I have chosen to postpone this task until the day that I have nothing more important to do.

In other words,  I want to go sailing and there's a big world out there so I've decided that the darn ceiling doesn't have to be perfect!  Sure,  I could make it that way but;  "do I really want to spend another year sanding, rather than sailing?"

It is in that spirit that I have intentionally added imperfections to the ceiling of the cabin.  However, to minimize their visibility, I have used a high solids epoxy paint, mixed it with microbaloons so that the paint has somewhat of an ability to provide texture thereby blending the surface.  The paint is also slightly matte in finish to further de emphasize these intentional imperfections.


2 comments:

grinell smith said...

yep - it ain't a damn piano. looks fine from my house.

s said...

let's go sailing
s & s2