Turns out that the nuts that I used to fasten the escape hatches pertruded to the point where I felt them to be snagging hazards.  In other words, if I ever have to dive out of one of these openings, I didn't want to get snagged on the bolts. My solution was to create smooth wooden guards that will be screwed in place over the fasteners.  On the back side of each piece I've drilled counter sink holes to cover the fasteners.

As you can see, I have yet to paint the master state room.  I'll wait until I have the walls painted then I'll varnish the wooden pieces and screw them in place just to add a nice detailed look.