The confidence of goats

After pouring the mounts with foam, I used a simple hand saw to carve away the extra foam then I used a disc sander wheel to create a groove all around the inside edges of the mount.  When bonding these mounts to the inside of the hulls,  I'll mix a good thick amount of cabosil and epoxy, load it into a large zip-lock bag  then cut the corner out of the bag so that I can lay a good thick bead of thickened epoxy inside this groove and smack the mount down where it belongs.

The thickened epoxy is then smoothed along the edges to form a fillet and then two staggered layers of DBM1708 tape.

When you're not really sure what your doing, it's always good to confide with a small billy goat.  Chickens provide little or no boost in one's confidence as they are generally very apathetic.  Note:  When making photographs of foam filled motor mounts, never leave them unattended as goats will eat all the foam out of your new engine mounts and you will have to go back the the previous steps.


Yanmar 3YM20 bed re-work

A little chopping, grinding and glassing and I have both engine mounts ready to go.  Tomorrow, I plan on pouring   the insides of the mounts with two part expanding foam. My thought is that when I bond the mounts to the hull, the foam will prevent the thickened bonding epoxy from squishing into the void and this should allow me to create a beefy fillet between all of the bonded edges. 


No worries

Although this fix got the best of my Sunday afternoon, I chopped the engine bed down, overlapped the flanges and bonded them back together with a thick mixture of cabosil and epoxy. While it was curring, I strapped the engine bed onto the engine/sail drive unit to make sure that it fits perfectly.  Tomorrow, I'll pull the temporary screws out, grind the splice into a nice shape then glass the heck out of the splice with multiple layers of glass fabric, inside and out. Although this miss-match created a fair amount of extra labor, the finished mounts will actually be stronger than the originals.

However, .......since this is a cat,  I've got to do the same dang thing again for the other engine.

wrong engine bed......

So what's wrong with this picture?.........Wrong engine bed!!!!!!!.........As you can see, the engine bed is about 8 inches too long.  ( This engine bed must have been for the larger Yanmar series engines.  so..........I can either whine or get out the chop saw.

Twin Yanmar Diesels

Now that both portions of the inner hulls have been reinforced, I've scribed and trimmed the engine beds so that they fit the contours of the inner hulls. Next, they will be sanded, and bonded into position with multiple layers of glass and epoxy.

Chicks digg epoxy

Here's  the starboard side aft cabin and as you can see, a small chick is inspecting the 40 inch wide layer of 24 oz. triaxial glass that has been applied over the location of where the engine beds will be glassed in place. The 2x6 served as a pretty lame scaffolding but it did allow me to roll on the epoxy, lay down the 40in. x 66in. glass, roll on a top coat of epoxy, apply peel ply and then squeegee this extra layer down nice and smooth.