4.15.2008

another shot looking forward ....

Preparing the hull sections:


The inner starboard shell is seen here hanging from the rafters of the shop about 10 inches shy of the final resting place. Since I opted to use the foam strips where the bulkheads meet the hulls, I've got a fair amount of scribing, fitting and trimming to do before I invite my friends over for a big cake decorating icing bag, bonding party.........( come to think of it, I need to make sure that I cut the internal access holes in the forward bulkheads so I don't accidentally bond one of my friends into the forward compartments by mistake)



now mixing the epoxy........


bagging the epoxy in preparation of application to the bulkhead edges.....




oops.................

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you get to the point of gluing the two halves together, are you planning on gluing/taping in the foam strips for the bulkheads at the same time?

I am having a hard time imaging how you will be able to glue the outer edge and do the bulkheads before the epoxy putty starts gelling for such a large boat part.

How ya gonna make it happen!??

- John

Unknown said...

good question!.......

so here's my plan:

Since the foam bulkhead edge bed strips will only be going along the forward, mast, cabin and aft bulkheads, I'll preform them and fit them in place first. when installing the bulkheads into the outer hull sections, I discovered that this worked pretty well. doing it this way sort of breaks the game into two steps. Once I have the edge strips formed and I'm happy with the fit of the top shell, I'll mark their locations then mix up a batch of epoxy/glass baloon/aerocil goop...apply it only on the side of the strips that will be touching the upper hull section then drop the shell down in place so that it acts like a big clamp to keep the strips in place over the bulkheads.

I should be able to put all four bulkhead edge strips in place (on the upper shell) before my batch kicks then I'll lower the shell down just to make sure they are in the right spot.

About an hour after that, I should be able to lift the upper shell up and apply goop along ALL of the mating edges and drop it back down for good. From there, lot;s of crawwling around with a bondo spreader making sure that all fillets are smooth enough to recieve the double bias tape and epoxy........

at least thats the plan...it may change mid stream.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celulite, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://eliminando-a-celulite.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.