9.01.2010

a foam core removal tool


 I designed and built a custom foam removal tool that allowed me to strengthen the edges of  the window openings.  This tool uses four water jet cut "blades" fastened to a spindle that has an aluminum hand grip on one end. This tool really works and removes the foam core while leaving the fiberglass edge reinforcement. 


 Since I was taking this photo with one hand, I was not able to show myself holding the aluminum support handle with my other hand.  With one hand on the drill and the other supporting the end, this tool does a fine job removing foam core. This open space will later be filled with a mixture of epoxy and glass microbaloons. The edges will then be covered over with a wrap of DBM tape. Once complete, polycarbonate glazing will be fastened along these reinforced edges. 

 here is the finished window opening after using the foam removal tool to create a  1 inch a deep foam free edge.    


1 comments:

grinell smith said...

great idea!