9.08.2011

Fenced-in area



Carbon stantion bases

Stantion bases being trial fitted along edge of deck. ( I haven't bonded them in place just yet)  I chose to create bases for each stantion which are permanently  bonded to the boat.  To do this, I used a 3 inch hole saw to cut a hole through the deck glass being careful not to cut through the inner glass laminate. I then dug the deck foam out and filled the void with a mixture of cabosil and epoxy.  Once cured, I sanded the high density fill area flush with the deck and covered it with two additional layers of 24 oz triaxial glass which created a strong reinforced area in which to bond the bases.


Here are the finished stantions with a temporary line attached along the top.



SNL  "Fenced in area"  Billy Bob Thorton: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/01/.phtml 




Travis: I think there's something I need to make clear about my fenced-in area. You see.. everybody in Gilbert County's got a damn fenced-in area that's cluttered with crap and brown weeds invading them like a cancer! Well, see, I'm better than that. I'm gonna make my fenced-in area an area that's neat and special, with a special purpose. And then all the naysayers will have to say, "Dammit! He really did something with his fenced-in area, and now I feel inspired to clean up my own fenced-in area!" And others will see my fenced-in area, and inspiration will go on and on and on, from person to person, just like that! [ reflective pause ] I want my fenced-in area to be an inspiration. And.. if y'all can't understand that.. then I was born in the wrong world. 



2 comments:

grinell smith said...

they look strong. so.. what's the "give point" if they DID break? Will they rip out a big hole along the chine, or will they snap off at the base, or what? in other words, do you have to think about designing in a weak-point on the stanchions themselves in order to preserve the integrity of your hulls in case the shite hits the fan really hard?

Unknown said...

the receptacles go down about a ft and a half through the deck and right up the the inside surface of the hull and I bonded the whole length with a 1 ft patch of 32 oz triaxial piece of glass, In the case of shite hitting fans, I also reinforced the deck where the receiver goes down through the deck with another layer of tri and also wrapped a 4 inch wide strip of uni glass around the outside of the receiver hole and back inward along the deck. That will counter act any outward forces that dould tend to damage the edge of the boat if the life line stantons encountered a very large drunken sailor.