12.01.2011

Hurricane Fortress




Here I am confirming the geometry of the bow anchor rollers.  I've taken the basic measurements provided by the plan set, plotted them out full scale on a scrap piece of OSB and used this to check the fit of my fortress XF-85 hurricane anchor.  After making slight adjustments to the pivot points of the rollers, I created a computer model that I can use to generate a cutting file so that the parts of the anchor roller assembly can be water jet cut, welded, anodized and then bonded in place to the under side of the bow beam.

In most situations, this size anchor will probably be entirely too large but since I am planning on sailing this boat into the Gulf of Mexico, I don't want to have to drag this boat off the beach and into the water again.  It's a real inconvenience to have to stop what you're doing and spend time and energy getting a boat back into the water after one of these pesky little hurricanes.  



2 comments:

Jason said...

Hi Allen. Fortress anchors are awesome. I have an FX-4 for my clipper marine 26. It has never let me down and I always get a good night sleep.

Kurt said...

I still owe you the inside photos, I should get them this weekend. I looked at all the ones I already have and they do not show the detail you need.

The 85 is a big one. Here is what I use,
• Lofrans Tigress 1000 Watt Electric Windlass
• Delta 45 lbs primary anchor 200’ of chain with 100’ rode.
• Fortress FX-37 Secondary anchor on 20’ chain and 200’ rode.
• Third anchor is 45lb CQR with approximately 200’ of chain.

The third anchor is home and to tell the truth I have never used the FX-37. The Delta has been an outstanding anchor here in the Chesapeake.

Kurt