4.02.2013

bamboo backing plates

I decided to use Bamboo cutting boards for backing plates for the deck cleats.  The theory is that their material properties are similar in character to the deck materials thereby creating a more uniform structure in witch to absorb the loads that will be seen by the cleats.    Adding to that; they are stronger than plywood, rot proof and lightweight so this makes me  believe that they are an appropriate material for this.



















And here's a photo of a bamboo backing plate being bonded into the inner portion of the hull and deck.....








I used a thick mixture of epoxy and cabosil to bed the plate under the cleat mounting location then used strips of peel ply to keep the glue in place. Tomorrow when the epoxy is cured, I will drill the mounting holes and use stainless fasteners and washers to bring the cleats home.




1 comments:

Mike said...

I'm sure adding the name Wüsthof to the boards made them far more economical... ;^)