10.18.2010

Targa Bar





So....Targa is an old word for targe, "shield".    I suppose it may be possible for this Targa Bar to one day act as a shield but I think I would have other more significant problems if that were ever to be the case.  Regardless, the upper portion of this structure follows the basic curve of the cabin top ( unless you opt to mount your mainsail traveler on it, in which case, the Targa bar is configured differently )  Personally, I don't like the idea of mounting the main sheet of my boat to an ungainly portion of the boat......I want it mounted to something solid as heck....mainly the center of the aft box beam structure.  The cross section of the upper portion of this Targa Bar structure is called out in the plans thusly. 
Since I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to build this Targa Bar, I'm starting things out simply by fastening the foam onto a curved form and gluing the central center rib in place.  Tomorrow, I plan on making things up as I go to work out a way to create this streamlined curved form. I have some ideas in mind but that's the fun in building sometimes.....not knowing exactly how to do something but having just enough of an idea to make you think it can actually be done. So far, I've been lucky and sometimes I've actually woken up in the middle of the night having figured something out........then of course when I wake up the next morning, I completely forgot it.

0 comments: