10.22.2010

Two 6082 alloy aluminum Rudder shafts

?

How would you like to try to get these through airport security. They sort of look like special edition, anodized AK 47s.

Truth be told......they were built according to the fabricated parts book that is part of the licensing of the F-44SC Super Cruiser by Ian Farrier.

These beauties were fabricated from a particularly difficult to find 6082 Aluminum. ( for reasons unknown to me, this alloy is readily available in europe, england and other locales but is next to impossible to find state side.)


6082 Aluminium  (Al Si1 Mg Mn)

Aluminium alloy 6082 is a medium strength alloy with excellent corrosion resistance. It has the highest strength of the 6000 series alloys. Alloy 6082 is known as a structural alloy. In plate form, Aluminium alloy 6082 is the alloy most commonly used for machining. As a relatively new alloy, the higher strength of Aluminium alloy 6082 has seen it replace 6061 in many applications. The addition of a large amount of manganese controls the grain structure which in turn results in a stronger alloy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been traveling for years, but I don't want to undergo that kind of security. I have seen various instruments or equipment used in the airport but this one, made out of aluminium alloys is quite different. I just don't like the way that one looks, even if they try to change it to a aluminium bronze. That scares me!

Unknown said...

It was just a joke, I had to order the aluminum rod stock from England and had a local shop turn them on a lath and weld the "tangs" in place.

Ugo said...

Hello;
I've built a new 6082 rudder stock for my 26' sailboat (self-built Didi26')
Now I'm wondering if I should have it hard anodized or not.
It seems that you get extra corrosion protection but the price is a drop in fatigue life of rudder stock.

any advice?
will the Al6082have enough corrosion resistance in salt wather or it is better to anodize it despite of the reduction in fatigue strenght?

thanks!
Ugo