4.12.2011

Battery placement

According to the plans, all fixed heavy items should be located in an area centered just forward of the mast bulkhead.  As outrageous that it may seem that any vehicle would contain both lead and carbon fiber, for over one hundred years, you still can't beat lead acid in terms of $/ Ahr. That said, for house power storage, I decided to use two 225Ahr 4D AGM batteries so that I can install one in each hull at the fore/aft center of buoyancy.

Two Deka Sea-Mate 4D AGM batteries

 Here is a photo taken from inside the forward, port side hull looking back towards the stern of the boat.  I used some scrap foam pieces to make a mock battery and after just about scratching the hair off my head, I was able to choose a location to build a battery box. The other battery will be located in the starboard hull; mirror image.







4 comments:

grinell smith said...

those look spendy...!

Tom said...

Looks like great locations, will they act as two house banks?

Unknown said...

Since that last post, I've actually decided to turn them length wise so that it will allow me to provide a wider interior walk way. The plan was to wire them in parallel and have them serve as the house bank. I'll have two separate smaller batteries for the forward windlass and the engine starter batteries and perhaps a way to switch them all around in the event of any one battery failure.

Kurt said...

I have two 4D batteries for house but they are installed in the salon under the bench. The Freedom 25 inverter is installed in the next spot over. I figured they were trying to keep the cable runs short between the inverter/charger, batteries, and distribution panel. You will have plenty of power.