4.10.2011

Todays epoxy session














Before mixing any epoxy, I have trained myself to prepare the glass reinforcement pieces before hand. Also, when the need arises to apply double biased tape along the seams of vertical and horizontal surfaces, I have found it easier to first saturate the fabric on a piece of thick plastic sheeting, lifting it off then smoothing it in place by hand.



Here are the containers that I use to mix batches of fillet material.  from right to left:

1.  epoxy resin mixing pitcher ( I usually mix 1 qt part A to 1/2 qt B)
2.  micro balloon / epoxy mixing container ( a 1 gallon jug with the top handle part cut off ) This particular gallon container is made of a very tough and flexible plastic that allows me to bang it on the table the next day to remove all the last work sessions cured epoxy so that I can keep using the same container. 
3.  Zip lock bag holder
4.  spreaders are seen here in the lower part of the photo

pouring the mixed epoxy into the micro balloon mixing container.

To arrive at a mixture with the consistency of peanut butter, I fill the cut off gallon jug right up to the top with micro balloons along with a qt and a half of mixed epoxy.....

after mixing, I scoop the whole glob of fillet material into my zip lock bag.....

 
zip it up, cut off the corner of the bag and the fillet material can be applied in a controlled manner by just squeezing the bag.

Here's an example of an end result using fillet material, epoxy saturated double bias glass tape all topped off with peel ply.  Again, notice the numbers written on both the surfaces and the pieces of reinforcement material to allow me to know where to put all the pieces. In this case, it's bonding the end of the bow tube in place.  


  



  




2 comments:

She:Kon said...

Thanks for the great tutorial on sticky stuff. I've imprinted that directly on my brain for near future reference! ;-)

Carry on, we're watching.

Rick & Lori

Unknown said...

Hey thanks. Although it helps me to just put things down in this log, it's good to know that I'm not just by myself here.

Today, I'm doing the starboard portion of the forward bulkhead seams and this is actually one of the more difficult parts to do because access is fairly limited and confined. So far, there have not been too many hard to reach areas but this is the exception.

If you don't think about it too much, some things are actually humanly possible.